It’s just under a week until Mother’s Day – which means it’s time to panic buy a half hearted something for the person who let’s face it, does pretty much all the thankless jobs in the house. Here’s a small list incase you need reminding:
- The “staircase crap” fairy. The one that magically redistributes stuff around the house? Guess what, that’s mum.
- Calenders filling magically with fun things to do on weekends and holidays. Yeah that’s mum.
- The greetings cards that appear out of nowhere for the endless kids birthdays, the family birthdays, the weddings, engagements, barmistsavas and even other people’s mum’s Mother’s day cards. That’s her.
- The Amazon Alexa type being in the room who has the psychic ability to answer any question resembling “Do you know where the <> is?”
- The endless forms, vaccinations, uniforms, returns, alterations, hand me down sorting, laundry distribution.
Le Sigh. You get the idea. If you want to buy something that she might actually like and have the added bonus of being away from everyone then check this lot out. It’s a list of affordable workshops offered by local business owners in Berkshire.
- Learn to write beautiful beautiful calligraphy, with the amazingly talented and very down to earth fellow artist Victoria Blum https://www.victoriablumcalligraphy.co.uk/calligraphy-workshops The lady in your life will learn how to write beautifully using ink and nib, unlocking her creativity and exploring how to put a modern twist on the classic artform of calligraphy in her own unique style. Equally suitable for left-and right-handers, modern calligraphy is a beautiful skill to learn and a relaxing one too. She teach beginners workshops – no experience is necessary! – and classes for improvers, and all your materials are included in each class so there is nothing you need to prepare or bring.
- British. Designed. With Love. Sophie is the owner of Funky Olive. Funky Olive is home to a fabulous collection of both handmade and bespoke lampshades that come in all shapes, sizes & fabrics. in Sophie’s words, “We all want our homes to be different and personal to us so why just settle for an off the shelf lampshade from a high street chain store?” Sophie offers a Bespoke Design Service that allows you to have something as individual as your home is. She offers fun workshops where the lady in your life will be learn how to make her own lampshade and take it home.
- Skincare and makeup workshops by our local celebrity Joyce Connor from Joyce Connor Cosmetics, she’s been in Woman’s Own, she’s a regular guest on local radio stations and was even invited to be on Judge Rinder! https://joyceconnormakeup.co.uk/ she has decades of experience getting brides and models ready for their close ups! She’s offering skin care consultations in convenient locations in Reading.
- Sophie from “A boat full of wool” teaches from her narrow boat … fun, on-trend Crochet, Arm knitting, Knitting, Wreath, Stockings, Natural dyeing Workshops. A Boat Full of Wool has been featured in Simply Crochet Magazine, BBC radio Berkshire, Land love Magazine, Waterways World magazine, Inside Crochet magazine, Canal Boating times, Knitcraft for HobbyCraft. https://www.aboatfullofwool.co.uk/craft-socail-events
- Sewing and Craft Classes – there is a varied choice of classes in all things sewing! From complete beginners to enthusiasts, they offer it all. They’re an official Janome Sewing School and all their classes are taught using the latest Janome machines, whilst their experienced teachers can show you everything from how to get to grips with a sewing machine, to fitting the perfect pair of trousers. https://www.sewisfaction.co.uk/product-category/sewing-and-craft-classes/
Silhouette Sarah, is a leading silhouette artist based in the UK. Sarah has been cutting silhouettes at prestigious events, parties, weddings and special occasions for over 15 years. Silhouette Art has allowed Sarah to cut silhouette portraits of many famous and interesting people, including Sports and TV personalities, film stars and Royalty.
Sarah has had the great privilege of working at many prestigious events and occasions such as: Princess Beatrice’s Birthday Party at Windsor Castle, Dawn French’s Birthday party, Prince Charles’s Christmas Party at St James Palace, House of Commons Christmas Party at Westminster Palace